Pontiac Repair/Car stops running after a few miles of driving

Car starts normal and idols fine. After driving the car for a short time. 4-5 miles the car suddenly dies. And will not start back up.  After the car has set for 15 -20 min it will restart and drive fine, but after a few more miles it shuts down again. I have changed out the coil pack and wires and egr valve and still have the same problems.  All my fluids are good and now leaks.  Car temp runs normal.   Tested the fuel pressure and its it good.  I hooked up a scanner and the only code I'm getting back is P1189 which says "Engine Oil Pressure Switch Circuit". Is this something that would shut the car down and keep it from running?

Hi Brian.
what year make and model is this? I can tell you I know from the code it's a V6 engine but what it's in I don't know. that code will not make the car die. when it quits running what happens? does it spit sputter and then die or is it like some one just turned the key off? any warning lights when it happens other then the service engine and battery light ?  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories