Pontiac Repair/Pontiac Torrent Rear Hub Assembly Removal

Question
hub
hub  
My wife's 2008 torrent has bad rear passenger wheel bearing.  I removed the wheel, rotor, and after removing the four retaining bolts the hub came off attached to the "backing plate."  I can't get the hub assembly out of that back plate which is now off the car itself.  I've PB Blasted it like crazy, used heat, threaded the bolts back through that back plate and tried to hammer the hub out with a socket over the bolts.  I rented a slide hammer and flange, but that doesn't really help separate the assembly from that plate with the brake hardware on it.  Please tell me I'm stupid and overlooking something simple!  Any advice welcome as I'm currently stranded with my wife's car and a bunch of people depending / waiting on me.  Thanks!!!

Answer
Yup that is a common issue the hub is corroded to the backing plate if you put a few pieces of 2/X on thir side and brisge the hub across it so the hub is not touching the ground if you tap on those bolts you have going though the backing plate the hub will eventually break free and fall out of the backing plate. you must be in a north climate area with salt on the road the aluminum knuckle is the catalyst to get the corrosion going. VERY common to get "stuck" you may have to bend the plate back out it will get tweaked a bit from pounding on it but it will eventually come apart. good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio