Pontiac Repair/1990 pontiac grand prix turn signal lever replacement

QUESTION: Hi there,
I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl
I am having issues with the turn signal,
when i turn it down (left) it works fine, however
when i turn on the right (up) then its some kind of a loose connection.
I can barely touch it and the right blinker turns on, but when i lift it all the way like its supposed to be it only works for a split second then it turns off.
So my question is do i replace the whole lever or is it the turn signal switch that needs replacing?
Thank you very much,

ANSWER: Hi Stefan:

it is more then likely a bad switch it's self not the lever. it could also have a short ckt. in the left side turn signal. it will act that way or flash super fast. you havn't changed any bulb on this have you? incorrect bulb type will cause odd issues.  do this turn on the 4 way flashers and walk around the car and make sure all the bulbs are working and none are dim/out or brighter then the others is they all flash the same the issue is with the t/s switch. if you have one coner of the car especially on the left side look there first for an issue. good luck :-}

QUESTION: Hi there thank you for your time.
When I turn on the hazard lights then all blinkers work fine, i only have a problem when i try and turn on the right blinker, it only works the first 2 millimeters then as i turn it all the way up it stops working.

it's probably the switch if everything else works including the opisite side turn signals but just the one side is not working it's the switch if the hazard lights work they use the same ckts and bulbs the only difference is the power path though the switch.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories