Pontiac Repair/P0741 code

Mr. Puccio,
I've got a 2001 Buick LeSabre (3.8 litre V6).  The check engine light came on, and I put a reader on it.  It shows a P0741 error code.  (I noticed that the transmission something jerks slightly when I put on the brakes, or when I take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator.)   
Can you give me a rough idea of what might by the problem?  And is any of the potential problems something that a so-so jackleg mechanic can fix, or does it need to be taken to a shop?
Any info or suggestions you can share are greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,

Hi David:

this can be a few things. it is most likely internal to that trans. easiest fix is a TCC solenoid in the transmission is bad. that controls the torque convert clutch. it could be a sticking valve in the valve body for the TCC. it could be a slipping TCC. or lastly an internal fluid leak in the transmission leasing to the code stetting.  with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure what the issue. I'm not a red oil transmission guy. if I were to guess it's either a solenoid or sticking valave in the valve body internal leaks are rare and you would experience a slipping 3'rd or 4'th gear. what ever it may be it's not a cheap repair you looking at a minimum of a diagnosis fee and then the reapir the side cover has to come off the trnamission to gain access to the possible bad component. Good luck :-)  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories