Pontiac Repair/2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Question
For the last month, my car has been having problems starting.  It will crank, but it won't pop off (turn over).  At first, we thought it was the fuel pump, but every time I had it towed to the repair shop (3 times) it would start for the mechanic.  He ran the diagnostics on it and the only error that appeared was that stupid Security issue.  We decided to take that out and it has worked fine for the last week and a half.  I took it to work today, and 10 hours later when I wanted to leave, the car would not start.  I let it sit for a couple of hours and went back to try and start it, but no deal.  Any ideas on what could be the problem?  Has anyone else ever asked about this problem?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  You have helped me more than once with this vehicle, and you have always been spot on.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jeanne:
does this have a V6 engine in this car? 2 things to look at. if it's a V6 make sure the bcm/ac fuse in the under hood fuse box is not blown.  not sure exactly how it's labeled from year to year it's different but for sure it's in the under hood box.

If this has a security issue (light on and or flashing) then try this turn off all the accy's in the cra radio HVAC etc. try to start the car crank it and let the key go back to the "Run" position. let the car sit for 10 minutes the security light will stay on stead and or will flash for 10 minutes after 10 minutes it should turn off or stop flashing. turn the car off let it sit for 1 minute and then try to start the car again. if the issue is a security problem the body control module "should" learn the ignition lock cylinder code and it should run. if it starts and runs you need a new ignition lock housing assembly it's the case that the lock cylinder goes into NOT the electrical ignition switch.

back to the first thing if the a/c BCM fuse is blown replace it and then pull out the relay in the fuse box marked compressor. when you turn the cover over for the fuse box there a a road map for what the fuses are labeled and where they go.
Good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio