Pontiac Repair/Does an EGR valve make a noise?

I had mine replaced in 2014 on my 1999 Pontiac GP 3.8L V-6 and today, when I turn the key to accessories- there is a noise like when your window is going up/down and it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. It stays on for maybe 3-5 sec. then goes off. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh! I have 177179 miles on her! Thanks!

Hi Pam.
No an egr valve will not make noise and it's under the hood. so that is not the issue. the noise you hear is more then likely the fuel pump but it shouldn't run for that long. about 1-2 seconds is all .if you can hear it chances are it going bad.  more then likely the fuel filter is restricted or plugged and the pump has been over worked and now it's making noise. it runs to prime the system at key on. that is normal being able to hear it rattle or make a wratchet noise is not normal.  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories