Pontiac Repair/HEAD GASKET

I have a Pontiac G6 2003, 3.5L and I have noticed in the last 6mo. that the anti freeze in the tank has gone down about one inch.

Is that a sign that that head gasket is leaking?

Thanks, JIM

Hi Jim.

Probably not. but the G6 was not made till 2005 what year and model is this. in 2003 that was a gran am with 3400 engine in 2005 they made the G6 with a 3500 engine. makes a difference is what may be leaking on this. I'll just guess you have the wrong year and in that case the 3500 engine was noted for a leaking cross over housing. the gaskets where it attaches to the engine leak not bad at first but they start to leak worse and worse where you will smell it burning off and may even see a leak on the ground. if the coolant level drops low enough the engine will over head and then more then likely you will have a head gasket(s) leaking. good luck.  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories