Pontiac Repair/Service Vehicle Soon Indicator

My daughter's 2001 Grand Am SEI (3.4) has the Service Vehicle Soon light on.  She's a 6-hour drive away, so I can't readily look at the car myself.
She hasn't noticed any drivability issues and nothing obvious appears to be malfunctioning.

What systems does this feature monitor on this vintage of car?   In other words. what will cause this light to illuminate?   
From what I've researched, this was a relatively new feature in 2001.

ANSWER: Hi Colin:
well with out seeing it it's only a guess. if it just the service vehicle soon and no there are no other lights on and it's not a service engine soon message my best guess would be a burned out head lamp bulb or an issue with the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) usually that is all that light means as long as no other lights are on.  she can stop by one of the big box stores in her area they all scan your car for free with the hope that you buy parts to fix it there. on that car a body control module code of b2600 b2601 is VERT common.

Good luck :-}

Assuming it's a problem with the DRL, can you offer any suggestions as to what to check for (other than a blown DRL fuse).
Perhaps a bad ground somewhere.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

It all depends. if your not in the rust belt where I live usually it's just a bad bulb you can have her turn the head lights on and then try the hi beams and see if one of the bulbs is out. if the bulb it out more then likely that is all it is. BUT if one of the bulbs is dim you have a wiring issue the forward lamp harness on that car had a few places with splice packs that like to corrode and cause high resistance and the end result is a dim lamp at first then no lamp at all once the corrosion builds to the point it actually breaks the splice or builds up enough that the current can't flow. it's not going to be a blown fuse if that were the case the car would probably not have any head lamps at all.  if indeed it needs a head lamp you need to get the exact same one not a fits all at wal*mart depending on the year the bulb could say a 9004 bulb for example and right around that year they switched to say a 9004 LL bulb don't mix them it will cause issues as well. the resistance of the bulb is different and the car will have headlamps that work but still have an DRL (service vehicle soon) light on because it has the WRONG bulb in it. seen it happen a lot of times... Alos if you change the blubs your self be careful the retainer that holds the bulb in get very brittle fro the heat!  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories