Pontiac Repair/Pontiac Grand Am GT, 2002, 6 cylinder

QUESTION: Lately my car decides when it wants to start and when it doesn't.  It could work fine for 2-3 weeks, then when I need to go to work, it won't start.  It cranks, but won't start.  When I get home from work, it will start.  I took it to the mechanic for this and he replaced the ignition thinking it was caused by the PassLock system.  I no longer have the security light coming on, but never know when it is not going to start.  No warning signs.  Any idea what else this could be?  The mechanic I took it to said if changing out the ignition didn't work, he really had no idea what it could be.

ANSWER: hi Jeanne:

a few things on those cars #1 make sure that the acx/bfm fuse in the underhood fuse box is not blown it will cause hard start long crank and even a no start. if it's blow replace it and pull the relay out of the fuse box that will stop the a/c from running and stop the fuse from blowing again. the ignition lock cylinder 95% of the time is the reson for the security light coming on NOT the switch the cylinder and it's housing. there is a security part in the housing that goes bad all the time it need to be replaced and thethen that housing needs to be learned to the body mosule and that "should fix" your issues..

QUESTION: How do I know which fuse is the acx/bfm fuse?  This is not listed on the diagram.

it is flip the underhood fuse box cover up side down and it has a road map of the fuses. it will be labels ac a/cbfm or a/c BCM something like that each year is different.  the relay for the a/c will be labels ac clutch the fuse will be right near the relay.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories