Pontiac Repair/rear sway bar

Question
Hi Todd- I have a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville.  I am told the rear sway bar and kit need replaced but that the sway bar is no longer made?  I truly love my car and it is in great shape.  I assume since the sway bar was there that it is needed?  My husband wonders if it can just be removed if we cannot find a used sway bar to replace it?  

Any ideas, suggestions of where to purchase a new or used rear sway bar if one is available would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Natalie

Answer
Hi Natalie:

you need the sway bar with out it the car will not handle very well on turns it keeps the body from rolling over on the suspension on turns and you will notice it especially on a freeway turn off. most manufactures only make/carry parts for if you lucky 7 or 8 years and  no longer make the parts or buy they parts to keep in their parts chain. parts like that are not usually mad by the auto manufacture any ways. if you look around on the internet you can find what your looking for. you can check local junk yards.  I did a quick search my self and found this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50-Diameter-Solid-4140-Chrome-Moly-Rear-Anti-Roll-Sway  You can widen your search to a Buick Lesabre or a Olds delta 88 they are all the same car BUT the diameter of the bar may be different so If you found a "KIT" that includes the bushings and links if you found one for a Buick you can make it work on a Pontiac.

Good luck.

P.S. those were really good cars around here in the north east they are long gone and rotted away!  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio