Poodles/Breeding

Question
At what age should I breed my male poodle?

Answer
Hello Rita,
Your male should be able to be used with a female at around 9 months of age.  Sometimes they get their sperm younger than that, but with their testicles assending and decending into their pouch, you run the risk of an early breeding being non-productive.  Be sure that both testicles have dropped before breeding.  Dogs with only one testicle can be at higher risk for testicular cancer and can pass those genes on to their puppies.  It is also a good idea to get your male checked out by a Vet before breeding, just to make sure that he is healthy and doesn't have any genetic faults that he could pass on to puppies.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions for me, please feel free to ask me.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate