Poodles/Standard poodle clothing

I have a 50 lb standard poodle and want to get him a rain coat to keep him dry on rainy day walks. Last year I ordered him a sweater for winter, an XL, and it was too small. It cost so much to ship it back for a refund that I didn't bother to return it.  According to the measurement chart for neck and chest he should take a Large, but the length measurement is a XXL.  Have you ever ordered clothing for you standard? If so what size did you get? Thank you.

Hello Janet,
When I get my guys something to wear, I usually buy them a size XL.  My guys are around 60Lbs and about 24-25 inches at the shoulder.  Some clothing also goes by collar size, so when it askes for those measurements my guys usually wear a 22-24.  It depends on the weight and girth of the dog though.  Measure at the deepest part of the chest and from in front of the shoulder to the tail.  Add an inch or two for miscalculations, thick Poodle hair, etc.  
A funny story about the raincoats.  I bought a raincoat for my 80 Lb Std Poodle because he didn't like going out in the rain.  So the next rainy day, I gear him out in his new Raincoat, sent him outside, and the look he gave me was Priceless.  It was "Oh No, I am NOT going out in this coat, Rain or not."  He was so embarresed that he wouldn't leave the steps.  I tried pushing him out in the rain, walking out with him, etc.  Nothing.  I finally had to take it off, he ran out to his favorite spot, pottied and ran back inside.  It was too funny.  

So anyway, if your pet shops allow pets inside, see if they will order the larger sizes, then take your dog in and fit him with one there at their shop.  That way, you won't have to take things back.  Most Pet Stores will special order sizes if they think it will cause you to buy from them.  
If nothing else, try some outfits on him that resembles the material that the raincoat is made of and try to get an idea of the best size for him that way.  You may even be able to get the name of the company off the tags on the clothes and order through them online that way.

Give it a try and I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions for me, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.