Poodles/3 month old Standard Poodle puppy won't eat her food

Hi there...We brought our beautiful puppy home yesterday.  She is eating a few treats for rewards, and she is drinking her water but she won't eat her food from the bowl.   It is the same food she is used to.   Any ideas?

Hello Karen,
The reason that she won't eat her food right now, but will eat her treats is that everything is new and her food isn't as interesting.  There is new smells, new toys, treats, friends and people.  Those things are much more interesting than her old food.  Give her some time, and if she still doesn't eat you can try adding some Chicken Broth or canned food to pique her interest.  
You might try getting one of those toys that drops a few pieces of food as the dog plays with it.  They are called Roll-A-Treat Balls and they keep the dog entertained as they play with the toy.  You can also make them by filling a Soda bottle with Dog food and then cutting holes that are just a bit larger than the food in each end of the bottle.  My dogs love to roll the bottle around and my Riot Boy (Blue Standard) will actually pick the bottle up and shake it.  He is too smart for his own good, LOL.  
Here is the link for the Roll-A-Treat Ball:

Yeah, I just say give her some more time.  With all things being new to her, she just has to adjust a bit.  Encourage her when she goes over to the bowl, and maybe even try putting a few pieces outside the bowl.  My one dog, Striker (I have 5 "kids" total) is a neat freak and if I put a few pieces of food outside the bowl, he will come over and clean them up.  Its too funny.   

If you would like other suggestions for this or have other questions/comments for me about Poodles, please feel free to ask me.  

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.