Poodles/Housebreaking poop

Question
I have a 5 month old standard poodle, male.  Fabulous dog except for one thing.  He goes outside to pee and often poops outside.  However, sometimes despite going outside and peeing, he returns inside then poops in the house.  I have not figured out the signal for this, but I am very frustrated.  Probably he is too.  It's happened probably every couple of days for the 2 months we've had him.  We are home mostly all day, he goes out frequently.  He is crated when we leave the house, sleeps in the bedroom at night.  No problems with urination, though he did spray a little as he barked when a strange dog entered our yard.   He's sweet, kind and generally a good puppy.  I can respect his puppies, but the poor issue needs to be resolved.  Per the vet, the worms are gone, we feed him high quality dog food (Fromm large puppy). Help.

Answer
Hello Patti,
Sorry about your Poo Problem.  I can give you a helpful tip.  When you put your dog out to potty, watch him to see if he Poops or not.  If he doesn't, have him come inside, then put him back outside about 3 minutes later.  If you have a crate in the house, put him in the crate so he doesn't potty in the house.  Praise him when he will go potty outside where he is suppose to go.  
Sometimes a dog will get so excited about going potty that once they pee, they forget to Poo.  My guys have done this before, so its actually more common than you think.  

You can also just give him more time outside rather than going ahead and bringing him inside, but by bringing him inside and then letting him back outside, you reboot his potty thinking so he will go back out and Poop.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions for me about this, or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate