Poodles/new born baby

I just got my new puppy today. Is there anyway to define will the puppy turn silver or stay black right now? The father is sivler grey and mom is creamy.

Hello Ray,
Congradulations on your new puppy.  Your puppy is Black right now, but depending on the background of the puppy he/she could stay black or turn Silver.  Your puppy is probably around 8 weeks old or so.  When you shave the face, feet and tail you might notice a gray color near the skin.  If so, then he/she will probably turn Silver.  If the color is Black then your puppy is probably Black.  Now due to the fact that the female is a Cream, that means she has the fading gene in her and would have passed it on to the puppy.  If he/she is Black, this means that he will probably fade and may turn Gray as he ages.  
If you know the background colors of the father and mother, that will help alot.  If both parents on both sides are Black, then the puppy could very well stay Black.  However, if there are some Silver in the background, then the puppy could turn Silver.  Background plays a very important role in determining the color of a puppy.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.  

If you would like to send me a picture, I can give you a better guess.  Take a pic of the face, in between the feet and the body hair near the skin.   My e-mail is

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.