Poodles/standard poodle puppy

Hi Kim, I have a 5 1/2 month old poodle. My question is how far can I walk her at this age? We usually walk about a mile and a half. she does great, very active. I will eventually walk her around 4 miles at a time. At what age will this be ok for her?thanks

Hello Sandy,
Sorry it took so long for me to respond.  I have been sick with flu like symptoms and haven't been on the computer.  

If your dog is doing great on the walks you are taking now, and as long as you build her up to the 4 miles at a time, she should do wonderful.  Poodles are very versitle and can adapt to many different styles of exercise.  Mine love to run around outside and they get to often, but as I am not that active, a good toss of the toy keeps them happy.  

Just make sure that you watch your girl as you are walking.  If she is breathing ok, and the weather is comfortable for her then she should do fine.  Of course in warm weather bring water for her and also be knowledgable of the surfaces you walk on.  Too Cold or Too hot can hurt her foot pads.  

I hope this has helped you some.  If you have other questions about this, or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.