Poodles/Fattening std poodle

Recently diagnosed with blasto. Lost 25% body weight. Fluconazole makes dog lack appitite, as does blasto. Years ago had to fatten a show bitch; breeder said a mixture of real lard, burger and the 3 rd ingredient is the one I forgot. Do you know? Had to make into balls and feed. Or can u give foods he'll be inticed to eat that are healthy and will fatten him? Vet said anything he'll eat. He has a good chance of surviving blasto.

Hello Lynn,
Sorry it has been awhile since I answered your question.  I have been sick and haven't been on the computer.  

I have made up a diet for my own dogs that I share with people to help their dogs either gain weight or help improve skin and coat.  Feel free to add things that your dog will like, you can keep the fat in the meat if you like and you can give the meat either raw or cooked.  You can also add other Veggies and Fruit if you think your dog will like it.  

1 lb Lamb burger, Chicken burger or Hamburger, cooked and most of the fat drained off.
1 can Salmon
1 can Sardines in Olive Oil
1 cup Spinach blended with the oil of the sardines
1-2 eggs scrambled
1 1/2 cup Special K or Total Cereal
1 Apple Blended (or you can use 1/2 cup of Applesauce)
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
1 grated carrot
1/2 cup brown rice, cooked using chicken broth for better flavor
1/2 Tablespoon Cottage Cheese, this is optional and can be added per feeding rather than made up in advance.

This recipe is for a large dog, but if you think this is more than you would use in a week, it freezes nicely.  It has vitamins and minerals that are good for a dogs coat and skin.  I would use 1/2 of the recipe and 1/2 of your dogs normal dry food for now, because this diet is rich and slowly cut back the dry food if you want to feed this exclusively.  You can go online and type in "Fruits and Veggies that are good for your dog" to find good and healthy fruits and vegetables for your girl.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this, or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me,

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.