Poodles/nursing poodle/possible gastroenteritis??

Question
QUESTION: So my mini-poodle (3 years old) just gave birth to 4 healthy pups a month ago. She is nursing them fine and the pups appear to be growing & overall look healthy. She (princess) appears to have her usual appetite, havent noticed any lack thereof, in fact i believe it has increased. She actually drinks more water now than she did before giving birth.

Since giving birth or about a week after, i have noticed that she has had Diharia and at fist was vomitting. The vomitting has ceased after we gave her small doses of pepto bismol but the diharia has not stopped. I took her to the vet last week and we did some abdominal x-rays, and it showed no evidence of foreign substances, just a bit of swollen intestines. They gave her pills. She was to be given a half a pill every 12 hours. The vet said her symptoms should be cured ( with the help of the pills) in about 2-3 days. Its been 4 days and she still has the diharia.

What else can i do? Ive read that sometimes its a good idea to not feed them for an extended period in order to let what ever parasite is in there tract get out of there system. True?

Thanks for your help..,
FREDDY PALACIOS

ANSWER: Hello Freddy,
First off, Congratulations on your puppies.  There are several things you might do for Princess.  You need to make sure that you worm the puppies and the female.  Even if your female doesn't have worms now, mothers tend to clean up the puppies bottoms and can get worms from their puppies if the puppies have worms.  Its good to worm the mother, because if the female does have worms, then the puppies can contract them.  You can worm the puppies as early as 2 weeks old.  We always used a product called Nemex II which is safe for mother and puppies.  

You can also give your mother dog some Kao Pectate if the Pepto doesn't work, and if you think its due to an upset stomach, you can boil some bland chicken and rice and give to her.  

The fact that she is drinking more water can also contribute to her diarrhea.  Make sure she drinks good though because she will lose water with the diarrhea.  

Let me know if she still has the diarrhea on Monday and I will give you some other suggestions.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions or comments for me, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

QUESTION: Hey Kim you were spot on. Turns out, one of the pups was pooping today and i noticed a 5 inch long worm sticking out of his anus, i proceeded to pull it completely out. I successfully did that, turned out to be approx, 6-7 inches long round worm.  The remaining pup stool was eatin by the mother (princess). Im almost certain this is the cause of princesses diharea ..

I will be taking the puppies in for there vaccines in two weeks, so in the meantime, can i give the puppies some sort of meds? Like the nemex II u mentioned? Is that a pill? Does it need to be prescribed? Prior to giving birth, princess' stool was nice and solid, healthy. She has only been like this after giving birth and i think its because she eats her pups stool.

Answer
Hello again Freddy,
Yes, you can give Nemex 2 (pyrantel pamoate)  liquid wormer to the puppies and also to mom.  
Nemex-2 suspension is a highly palatable formulation intended as a single treatment for the removal of large roundworms and hookworms in dogs and puppies.  
Administer 1 teaspoon (5 mL) for each 10 lb of body weight. It is not necessary to withhold food prior to or after treatment. Dogs usually find this dewormer very palatable and will lick the dose from the bowl willingly. If there is reluctance to accept the dose, mix in a small quantity of dog food to encourage consumption. It is recommended that dogs maintained under conditions of constant exposure to worm infestation should have a follow-up fecal exam within 24 weeks after treatment.

For maximum control and prevention of reinfestation, it is recommended that puppies be treated at 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 weeks of age. Lactating bitches should be treated 23 weeks after whelping. Adult dogs kept in heavily contaminated quarters may be treated at monthly intervals to prevent reinfestation.

You can buy Nemex 2 at most feed stores or animal supply stores.  Ask for Nemex 2 or Pyrantel Pamoate.  If you can't find it at the feed stores (such as Orscheln Farm and Home, or PetCo or PetSmart) then contact your Vet.

Female dogs will eat their puppies stools to keep the puppy area clean, and it helps stimulate the puppies bowels and bladder so they can potty.  It teaches the puppies to not defecate in their pen area and since it only contains milk from the mother, its not harmful to her (unless it does contain worms).  Once the puppies stools are clear, it is normal for her to continue eating them until the puppies get on solid foods.

Again, I am glad you found out what was causing the diarrhea.  If you have other puppy questions or questions about this, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate