Poodles/Standard Poodle

Question
Napoleon is 12 years old and has a benign tumour on his shoulder. Over the past couple of years the lump has grown significantly and is now the size of a softball. He also has much smaller ones appearing, 1cm. he seems happy and has never shown any discomfort. Will they continue to grow? What should I do?

Answer
Hello Paul,
Sorry it took longer to answer.  These bumps are common in Poodles with them appearing all over a dogs body.  We have a female who has one under her back legs that is about the size of a large mans fist, but with her age (she is 11 yrs old) we hesitate to let them put her under to have it removed.  
From the very small ones to the larger ones, I have seen them come back when removed.  I have also seen them not grow back.  It depends on where the tumor is, how deep the root is and if the Vet gets the whole root when they remove it.  

If your Vet thinks it would be ok to remove it, and you feel comfortable then I would have it removed so it doesn't start to bother him.  If you are concerned about his age or whether it will come back, it would be ok to leave it for now.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions for me about this, please feel free to ask.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate