Poodles/Trembling whilst asleep.

Question
Hi there, I have a 12 year old toy poodle whose legs sometimes trembles whilst he is sleeping. He is perfectly normal all the other time though, eating, drinking and playing just fine and only trembles when he is sleeping.
Any thoughts on this would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

Answer
Hello Tammy,
Sounds like your dog is having dreams at night.  When dogs dream, they will sometimes kick their feet, whine, howl, bark and I have even heard of dogs getting up and running while asleep.  Check his eyes.  If he is asleep, you can sometimes see the eyes moving under the eyelids.  This is called REM sleep and is usually when dreams occur.  

If the twitching was not due to dreaming, your dog would most likely wake up stiff and would hobble until his legs "woke up".  
I would not worry about it unless you see signs of distress when your dog is awake.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this, or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate