Poodles/constipation/excessive licking

Question
Within the past 24 hours, my poodle went from pooping normally to turds and now seems to be excessively licking his anus area. I tried warm water on the area. We have not changed his food, he does not eat human food nor does he like treats.  He only eats can food. What can I give him to help along the process?

Answer
Hello Deb,
It sounds like your dog could have full or even impacted anal glands.  The Anal glands are located on either side of the anus and provide scent along with the dogs bowel movements.  Normally they release small amounts when the dog has a poo, but sometimes they get blocked up and they can cause the dog to not be able to correctly pass feces.  
Your dogs Vet or Groomer can express these glands and allow for normal bowel movements.  Call for an appointment and let them know that you think your dog has full or blocked anal glands.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions or concerns about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate