Poodles/poodle not eating

Question
I have a fussy miniature poodle who often goes without eating, and i would like to know the best canned and dry foods to feed a fussy eater, who would rather go hungry. thanks

Answer
Hello Ann,
Some dogs do tend to be picky eaters and will turn their noses up at anything they don't find appealing.  It can be flustering to their owners when their dog won't eat what is put in front of them.  Trying different foods can help, as can trying different things that you can put in their food, such as flavor enhancers, Fruits and Vegetables, or canned dog food.  You can also try dog food alternatives such as the Raw food diet (BARF Diet) or making up your own prepared food for him/her.  

One of the best foods out there for dogs, on a nutritional level would probably be Wellness brands or Blue Buffalo Wilderness.  You can find out more about them at their Website:  http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog-wellness.aspx and http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/grain-free-wilderness They have a wide range of foods to suit a dogs tastes and needs, such as exotic flavors (Buffalo, Duck, Salmon, Deer, etc) and they don't use corn, wheat, soy or by-products in their foods.  
There are also many other good foods on the market now as many food companies have been going to All-Natural/Holistic, Grain-Free diets for dogs.  They are a bit more pricy than what you would find at Wal-Mart or grocery stores, but they are better for owners that are more health conscious as to what they feed their dogs.  Check out Dog Food Reviews for more information and comparisons.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

This is a diet I have made up for dogs that you can feed long term or use as a mix-in.

Ingredients for "Kim's Doggie Diet"
1 lb Hamburger or Turkey Burger cooked and most of the fat drained off
1 cup brown rice, cooked in Chicken broth  
1 can Salmon
1 tin sardines in Olive Oil
2 cups packed Spinach, cooked and chopped (you can use Chicken broth if preferred to cook it down in)
1 cup Special K or Total Cereal
1-2 eggs cooked and scrambled
1/2-1 cup applesauce

The Fruits and Veggies are a try and see ingredient.  You have to try them with your dog and see if they like them or not.  Some dogs love a variety, others turn their noses up at any and all produce.
Fresh Fruit: raspberries, blueberries, bananas, pears, mangos, pineapples, apricots, peaches, and strawberries,  NEVER GIVE YOUR DOG RAISINS OR GRAPES!! THEY ARE VERY HARMFUL TO A DOG!!
Fresh Veggies: Carrots, Cabbage (red is preferred, small amounts), Peas, Califlower(chopped small amounts), Mashed Sweet Potato (unless your dog has Yeast issues), cucumber, beets, zucchini, sprouts, Bell Peppers.
Optional: Cottage Cheese (great for adding weight), Yogurt (for stomach issues)

This recipe is for a large dog, but it freezes nicely and can be thawed and used over the long term.  For a dog your dogs size, I would give 1/2 cup dry food and 1/2 cup of the cooked diet until he/she gets used to it, or you can continue feeding it this way.  You can also leave the dry food out all the time to encourage him/her to eat it whenever he/she is hungry.

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions for me about this, please feel free to ask me.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate