Poodles/grooming

Question
Hi Kim,
I would like to learn to groom my Standard Poodle. I have several tapes but would like to hire a groomer to teach me hands on. Do you have any advise for me on how to find a person willing to help me. Thanks Jeannette

Answer
Hello Jeannette,
There are several ways to learn to groom your Poodle.  There are several websites and YouTube videos that show the best way, Step-by-Step, how to groom your dog, some that are more detailed that others.  They are very informative and you can learn alot but it isn't a substitute for hands-on experience.  I suggest visiting some groomers in the area and letting them know that you want to learn to groom your own Poodle and see if they will allow you to observe them grooming other Poodles.  You can suggest to them that you would be interested in paying them to teach you how to groom and how they feel about that.  I would check out a few different shops and watch the groomers there at work (such as at PetSmart that has an observation window where you can watch your dog being groomed) and see which ones that you like.  Then see if you can talk to them after they finish.

You could also shadow a groomer, or become an apprentice to learn the little tips and tricks that will help you best groom your own dog.   Once you work with them for awhile, then see if they will help you with your dog.
You might also check with Poodle Breeders/Show Handlers in your area.  They will also know about Poodle Grooming and may be more willing to show you what you need to know.  Maybe suggest that in trade for them teaching you, you help them in their kennel; bathing, or walking the dogs, or cleaning kennels.  Either call around or visit them in person and let them know that you have a Standard Poodle and that you would like to learn how to groom it.  Most Breeders are going to be very knowledgeable about grooming and may be better able to teach you about grooming than Dog Groomers because the Breeders have more time on their hands.   This way, you learn as you practice on other dogs, and you become friends with someone that can help you if you have questions or need advice later.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to contact me again.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim  

Poodles

Kim Wingate