Poodles/Color breeding

Question
I have a phantom female with white on chest toy poodle. Her mother is a blk/wht parti with almost all blk/wht in her past three generations. Her father is a red with all red in his past three generations. I would like to breed for parti color's. I was told not to breed to a brn/wht as the points would be liver colored. What do you suggest as far as colors to breed to ?

Answer
Hello Judy,
You said what colors the mother/father are, but didnt say what color your puppy is.  I have been reading up on Parti colors and breeding, and haven't come across alot.  I would choose either a same colored Phantom male as your dog or a male that is solid colored (the same color as the background of your dogs color) and carries the Parti gene.  
Once you do a breeding, then you can take a male puppy from the litter and breed it back to the female if you got nicely marked phantoms.  (as long as the dogs are all healthy)  If there were any genetic issues, in-breeding can cause a whole litter of dogs with the same genetic issue.  

Genetics in Poodles and especially in the Parti Poodles is a very little known area.  Research is being done to try and isolate those genes for the Parti colors, as the Parti gene has its own gene vs the Phantom and Brindle gene, which is/are separate, but for the most part right now, its a "try it and see what you get" prospect.  

I can tell you that you will want to stay away from the Browns (which as mentioned can lead to liver colored lips, noses and eye rims) and also you don't want too much white.  

On a final note, you might do some of your own research and talk to other breeders as well because I have limited knowledge in this field, though I have done some research because I am interested in genetics.

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions or concerns about this, please feel free to ask me.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate