Poodles/Toy poodle pup 5 weeks

We have just picked up our puppy. We are worried about what to feed her. Help please

Hello Julie,
Sorry it took longer to answer your question.
The Dog Food world is so crazy and knowing what food to pick for your dog is a tough decision at the best of times.  I tend to buy the highest quality food that I can afford, then supplement if I have to.  I am not a huge fan of the "Grain Free" foods, as dogs are omnivores and need both grains friuts and veggies, and Meat to live healthy.  I also don't like the "Grocery Store" foods that contain no fruits, veggies, or Meat, just fillers.  Read Labels, listen to Blogs or Forums on social media sites, and listen for recalls  of the foods you are considering.  

I would go with a Simple Chicken and Rice formula for Puppies to start with.  I like Nutro Natural Choice foods, Simply Nurish, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Food, Blue Buffalo, Wilderness, or Wellness foods.  You can ask others about their preferences, but by doing this you are opening yourself to everyone's opinions, meaning if you ask 10 different people their food choices and why, you will get 10 different answers.  Everybody has an opinion and a reason why they like their food of choice best.  It can get overwhelming.  
You can talk to your Vet, but even they tend to sway their opinions towards what they are selling in their practice, so you may not get a good recommendation from them.  You can however ask their preferences on the kind of meat in your dogs food and how much to feed her.  
In the end, it will be how well your dog takes to the food you get for her.  Keep her on it for about 2 weeks and see how she does.  If she is eating well and not getting too fat or thin on it, stay with the food she is doing good on.  If she won't eat it, or you notice that she is having skin, coat or itching problems, change her food.  Repete until she will eat it good and looks like she is filling out on it.

I hope this helps you some.  Please feel free to return here if you have other questions or concerns about this or about Poodles in general.

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.