I bought a black toy poodle, I asked several questions about color because I wanted a BLACK POODLE. The breeder explained about the fading gene, "bad" blacks etc. She assured me "HER" poodles do not fade, nor are they bad blacks that will have white or silver guard hairs.

So at 6 months, the top of her back is full of white course hairs and I just saw today that the right front leg above the ankle is truing white from the root out!

I am very disappointed, I love my puppy but I searched and spent much time with breeders and questions trying to make sure I got an adult black. European poodles are so black they are stunning, in the states it's a mess. Anyway WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WHAT AM I GOING TO TO END  up with? She is is not a parti so it makes it 100 times worse. Thank you

Hello Jenni,
Sorry that you didn't get what you were told you were going to get.  The fading gene can be present and just not show up until later litters.  To me it sounds like she has Black dogs, but that they have white or other fading colors in her dogs background.  Did you get a chance to look at the puppies pedigree or look at the parents?  Are all the dogs in the puppies backgrounds black.  You can get a color pedigree from the Kennel Club your puppy is registered with.  
I can say that if the Guard hairs on the back are white, but not white down at the base of the skin, that this happens sometimes in Black dogs.  The white on the leg is interesting though.  Is there any way you can send me a picture of your dog.  I can have a better idea of what color your dog should end up.  You might let the breeder know that your dog is getting the white guard hairs and the white on the leg.  See what she has to say.  If you do contact her, ask her about colors in the puppies backgrounds (because any color other than Black is going to have the fading gene) and see if she will send you pictures of the parents and grandparents.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this or other questions in general, please feel free to ask me.  
My e-mail is MsTopkdog@yahoo.com

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.