Poodles/diahrea

Question
My poodle has had very bad diahrea and was given medicine for a bacterial infection. he got better for a while but now will not eat and his eyes are matting. do you have any ideas. he is 7 years old.

Answer
Hello Ann,
You might try using chicken broth (low sodium) and maybe some brown rice in your dogs food to encourage him to eat better.  You can give your dog Pepto Bismol to help relieve the diarrhea.  It would be around 1 cc or 1 ml per 7 lbs of body weight.  Give it 2x a day until your dog is better.  Also, be sure to offer plenty of water.  You can put a little chicken broth in it to flavor it or add ice cubes.  If your dog is having diarrhea, he is losing water and needs to replace it.  
The eyes are matting because of tearing.  The eyes run and the liquid from the eyes mixes with chemicals in the hair which dye the hair a rusty color.  The liquid dries which causes the matting.  Make sure to wipe his eyes out frequently.  You can put eye drops in his eyes to keep them moist if the eyes seem dry.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask.  

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim  

Poodles

Kim Wingate