Poodles/poodle teeth

hi - I have a miniature poodle, 11 years old. It's difficult to keep his back teeth clean. I got a suggestion to remove all 4 of the rear teeth, I would call them wisdom teeth, just as a preventative step since it's so hard to keep them clean. My question, are you familiar with removing healthy teeth on a dog?

Hello Rob,
If it doesn't hinder him eating, it would be alright to do so, as not removing them and them not being kept clean is putting your dog more at risk.  Gum disease in dogs can lead to heart problems if allowed to get really bad.  You might consult your Vet to be sure.  
Also, make sure your dog is healthy because it can be harder on an older dog to be put under.  

I hope this helps you some.  If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.