Poodles/Breeding Standard Poodles

I am interested in breeding our 3 year old CKC standard poodle.  Due to Standards maturing later than other dogs, I felt 3 was a good age.   However she is still exhibiting puppy behaviours.   Should I wait another year.  She has been been checked health wise for genetic dispositions and is healthy to breed.  My only concern is age.  Your input is greatly valued.  Best regards, Janet

Hello Janet,
Your dogs body is physically able and mature to have puppies if you wanted to breed her now.  The only concern is that she might react "childishly" towards the puppies once they are born.  I however think that she will be OK once her body goes through the process of being pregnant. Most dogs instinctively become good mothers when the puppies come
Make sure that you interact with both momma and the puppies once they arrive,  so that both momma and puppies will accept you and people handling the puppies.  This makes a huge difference as far as socialization goes.

I hope this helps you some. If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, Please feel free to ask.

Thanks for using,

Kim Wingate

I can answer general questions about Poodles. My specific area of expertise is Standard Poodles, but I will answer all questions about Poodles and dog related questions if I can. If I can't answer your question, I will be able to find information or someone who can.

I am a Dog Groomer and Dog Trainer, who has raised Standard Poodles for over 25 years. I can answer Housebreaking questions, Obedience/Training questions, Grooming questions, Breeding questions, and General Dog questions. I can also give SUGGESTIONS about general Health questions, but as I am not a Certified Vet, I cannot and will not diagnose illnesses. If you think that your dog is seriously ill, please contact your own Vet.

I am a member of the American Kennel Club.

I have worked at several Pet stores in my area, worked for a year as a Vet Tech, was an apprentice for a Dog Trainer, and have also worked at a Grooming/Showing kennel for several months. I have also raised, shown, currently train, and groom my own Standard Poodles, and have for over 25 years.