Poodles/Breeding Westies

Question
I have an 8yr old male Westie and my friend has a 2yr old female Westie who she wants to breed with my male.  Her female is currently on the 3rd day of her cycle.  When would be the best time for them to mate?

Answer
Hello Leslie,
Most females tend to be ready to breed around day 9-11. Sometimes your female will let you know she is ready, sometimes not. She may stand for the male or tease him. If this is so, let them play together. Try to get 3 or more breedings if you can, with a day of resting/rebuilding for the male in between. It will increase her chances of getting pregnant. Also, put her in a crate when she is finished to reduce the  chances of her urinating the sperm out.

I hope this helps you some. If you have other questions about this or other Poodle questions in general, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for using AllExperts.com,
Kim

Poodles

Kim Wingate