Pool/Billiards/pool cue

Question
I was thinking about making my own pool stick with a spring loaded cue for breaking purposes and better english.Are there any specific rules about this being legal or not

Answer
Hi Eric.

The World Pool Billiard Association promulgates the Tournament Table & Equipment Specifications:

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_spec

The equipment specifications for cues are:

The 17. Cue Sticks
Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.

There is nothing here that prohibits a spring loaded cue.

These equipment specifications are referred to in the World Standardized Rules as follows:

(a) Cue Stick - Each player is permitted to use one or more cue sticks that meet the specifications listed in the equipment specifications section. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.

So again, there is no restriction on the specific device. I think you might be interested in knowing that there are two different patents for spring loaded cues. See:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5411441.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3858882.html

Go for it!

Best of luck,

Pool Teacher

Pool/Billiards

Pool_Teacher