Pool/Billiards/cue-ball leaving and returning to table

When hitting the cue-ball, is it an offence if it leaves the surface then back on before it hits your ball?

Hi Tshepiso

I am assuming you mean a shot that, for example, climbs onto the rail but returns to the table surface and then strikes a ball. From the perspective of authoritative rules, e.g., the World Rules or BCAPL, it is not a foul so long as the cue ball does not contact anything external like a piece of chalk or the light before returning to the surface.

Best regards,

Pool Teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.