Pool/Billiards/scratching

Question
when you scratch where do you set the cue ball, is it always set up on the breaking end or on the end where the scratch pocket was?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Paula,

In all sets of rules currently governing professional and league play in 8 ball and 9 ball a scratch gives the incoming player "ball in hand" anywhere on the table.

But in most bars the "house rule" is that the cue ball is played from anywhere behind the head string (second diamond) at the breaking end of the table. Billiard Congress of America rules used to play that way but not for the last 25 or 30 years.  

Play well and enjoy,

Bill

Pool/Billiards

Bill Newsted