Pool/Billiards/pool cue identity

Hi there. I just recently bought this pool cue for 30$ it was purchased 15 years ago by the previous owner in Niagara Falls. There are no identifying marks on this cue but it does have a rubber bumper that was made in Canada. This cue Has a maple shaft with a short white ferrule.  Its is a brass jointed cue that seems to be hand spliced with birds eye and another type of wood. I have included pictures. Any information about the make, model, price and quality of thecue would be greatly appreciated

Hi Big Blue.

I cannot see the joint, but from what I can make out—the short ferrule, the butterfly points, and overall construction, that is not a pool cue at all but a billiards cue (sometimes called a "carom cue"). I cannot tell from the picture but if it is shorter than the average cue's 57" and has a thicker butt and joint, that would cinch it for me. You may not be familiar with them. It is for games played on a billiards table: a pocketless 10' table, often with a heated slate and significantly larger balls. Games include straight rail, cushion caroms, balkline and most commonly, three-cushion (my favorite game). The construction of these cues make them much stiffer, so they can handle the larger and heavier balls used in carom games.

Big, there is only so much I can tell you about quality and price looking at a low-resolution picture of an unsigned and un-monogrammed cue, and no one is going to be able to tell you the maker unless they have great familiarity with that particular maker. There are thousands of different ones.

I can tell you that, with the butterfly points and sleeve detail, it's worth a lot more than $30. It looks solid and of quality. Anyway, people do not do real butterfly points on a piece of garbage, and there are no cues with butterfly points that are worth that little (unless the condition of the cue is awful). Also, billiards cues are far less common and, because of that, they are much less often the product of mass manufacturing. But whether it's worth $200 or $1,000 is impossible for me to even hazard without holding it in my hand and even then, without an identifier, one can only go so far in valuation.

Best of luck,

Pool Teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.