Pool/Billiards/8 ball racking the balls

I have played 8 ball a number of years.  I have come across a number of different ways that people say the balls should be placed when they are racked.

Having read the 8 ball article in Wikipedia I am wondering if there is a specific way to rack the balls, i.e. an order to them, other than as descrbed in the article.

Hi Nic:

There's a million and one uncodified local rule sets that are played in informal venues, which are often quite different from the few sets of authoritative that are played by aficionados of the game. Often in informal venues the local rule is that the balls are racked in an alternating pattern on the outside. This, however, results in an illegal rack in all authoritative rule sets I know. In them, generally, the only rules for placement are that the 8 ball is placed in the center, and the two corner balls must be a stripe and a solid. Everything else is random. This is as described in the Wikipedia article, which is correct.

If you'd like to read this for yourself have a look at Official Rules of the Billiard Congress of America Pool League (BCAPL), page 37 (the best rule set out there) which can be downloaded at

The World Rules provide identically at
You can also see the International Pool Tour's (IPT) rules at  which has one additionally rule, that the 1 ball be placed at the apex of the rack. This is an outlier though.

Best of luck,

Pool Teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.