Pool/Billiards/8 ball question

when playing 8 ball....you break and 2 solids go in and 1 stripe....is it still open or are you solids for that game because 2 went in?

Hi Kim.

It is always open after the break shot no matter what is pocketed on it. Choice of group is not assigned until someone makes a legal shot after the break.

Note that this is from authoritative rules, such as the World Rules, the BCA rules. etc. "Bar rules", describing the innumerable sets of informal, uncodified rules that are played in bars and other informal venues often vary the better authoritative rules in many ways. If you'd like to read the best, most logical and nuanced rule set out there, check out the BCA rules (BCAPL [Official Rules of the Billiard Congress of America Pool League]), at: http://www.playbca.com/downloads/rulebook/completerulebook.aspx

Best of luck,

Pool Teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.