Pool/Billiards/Cue ID - is it special?

Question
B-16 in original case
B-16 in original case  

Point/curly shaft
Point/curly shaft  
Can you tell me about my cue? My dad received it in 1976 after he met a gentleman who said he'd have Jim McDermott make him a custom cue. This cue came in the mail in the pictured hard case soon afterwards. It looks to be a B-16, but I noticed the joint doesn't match what I saw on the McDermott site (metal instead of white) and it has a curly maple shaft which didn't look to be what an original B-16 came with. Any information would be nice. Wrap is textured leather and ferrule appears to be ivory.

Answer
Cue info

Cues are very much customizable and have been forever..  Chances are when the cue was ordered you had the option of joints, steel or plastic and some wood.. this was a very common practice in all cues makers of the 70 etc.. as far as the curly shaft this wasnt a very common practice for several reasons, /because curly or birdseye maple is not as stable as solid tight grain maple which is always the choice for custom cue makers..and mostlr grained maple shafts can distract a players view while looking down the shaft..like a clean pure white ferrule the shaft is also clean hard maple, plus the grain of curlys are not cylindrically consistant and different positioniing of the shat around its axis can produce changes in squirt and length the tip stays on the ball so simply although they look pretty and may add value to some cues they are not attractive to a pool player...mcdermott uses leather wraps on a high percentage of their cues and has the leather wrap business down to a science..this places a slight value on the cue but as a mcdermott most of these type cues come with leather....so anyway the cue looks in pretty good condition and should bring a good price.. i would say that the value would be close to the msrp new.. try e-bay with a high reserve or a reserve that you would take to try establish a value.. and good luck..
mike

Pool/Billiards

Michael DeWitt