Pool/Billiards/Pool gambling game

When I was young and shooting lots of pool there was a pool game that used a leather covered bottle shaped container where small
pool balls were placed.  Players would select a ball(maybe 2)and
they would have to clear the table of their  selected balls.
As I remember the selected balls were called "peels"?
What was this particular game called and what was the container called?
Thank you.

Hi Thomas

The "balls" are commonly called peas or pills and it sounds like you may have heard both and merged them in your mind to reach "peels". The container they are selected from is called a shake bottle. The game could have been one of a number. There's bottle pool, pea pool or Kelly pool and they are also sometimes used for the games of Chicago and golf.

Best regards,

Pool Teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.