Pool/Billiards/Installing a permanent ferrule

Question
QUESTION: I inherit a pool stick from my father. It is about 39 years old. It seems in very good shape. It has a plastic removable ferrule with a screw-on tip. Could I replace it with a permanent ferrule? If so, how can it be done?
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hey Mariano.

Yes sure, it's not a big deal, but the question is whether you really want to do his yourself or let someone who's done it many times do it for you. It's usually about $30 to have it done, with a decent tip. Call up a local poolroom, if ones nearby. Most will know who to tell you to see if they can't do it in house. If not, or you just want to do this yourself, it's less easy for me to walk you through it because I don't have the specifics. For example, is the tenon undamaged and how thick is it? Do you have a lathe to evenly pare off the excess if the ferrule overhangs (which it often will because of sanding over the years). If you told me the make of the cue (if you know) I might be to tell you exactly what ferrule to buy. Is the existing ferrule completely off or gunked up; do you need to know how to take it off cleanly without damaging the wood? Do you have a good tip waiting and do you know how to mount that to the ferrule once you've replaced it?

What would probably be good is if you followed-up with a second post telling me some of the specifics.

Cue Stick
Cue Stick  

Cue Tip
Cue Tip  
QUESTION: Thank you for your reply. I have a lathe. I bought an ivory ferrule (at least that is the description). I cannot see any markings on the stick. The tenon and the stick are undamaged. I am currently using it. My wife and I are starting playing and we like it. We are planning to take some classes.  If I need to buy another ferrule, let me know.

Answer
Hi again Mariano. Sorry for the delay I was away.

I sure hope it's not ivory. Ivory is a completely immoral substance, and you should be aware that it is illegal to sell it (in the U.S.) unless it meets certain exacting conditions of law. I suspect it's an artificial substance like Ivorine or Melamine because if it was real ivory, you'd probably have mentioned how incredibly expensive it was.

Anyway, I'm a bit puzzled because because if you already have a stripped tenon, as shown in the picture, and have the ferrule, you'd know if it fits well (depth and diameter) but do not say. Also, since the tenon is stripped, you can measure both so there's no guessing involved. Anyway, if it does fit well, all you need is some glue. If it's too small--won't fit over at all--I suppose you could carefully place it in the spindle of your lathe and ream it but you'd want to be very careful to do so evenly and if it leaves the walls very thin forget it -- it'd probably be best to just get another after measuring. If it's way too roomy you can shim that but it's much preferable to have a relatively snug fit to start. The biggest problems with both are off-centering once installed, whereas a snug fit will mean you won't have to worry so much. It looks like a nice cue though I can't tell the maker so I can't research the tenon dimensions. Anyway, if the fit is good, I recommend a 5 minute, 2-part epoxy (some people just use a cyanoacrylate superglue and say it's worked fine for them, but others say they get brittle, whereas I've never heard a complaint about epoxy, other than the smell). Once glued, just turn any shaft overhang with some fine sandpaper.

Pool/Billiards

Pool_Teacher