Pool/Billiards/1917 brunswick balke collender table

Question
We have a 1917 brunswick balke collender pool table,  we had just re refinished the wood, cushions, everything,  it looked beautiful!!  Then the unthinkable happened!! we were moving, and one of the pieces of slate fell and broke!  Can this be replaced?  would it have to have all 3 pieces of slate replaced?? ( our table looks alot like the madison model, ) I believe the slate is 1". Any ideas on what we should do would be very much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Donna,

Hmmmmm, this could be a little difficult. Madisons I've seen from that era have horizontal rail bolts. That is, bolts that screw through the rail and into the slate from the side, then into a nut that is embedded in lead a few inches into the slate. Off hand I don't know if you'll be able to find that in new slate, although I could ask around some if that's what you need. Also, some Madisons had 1 1/2 inch slate, others had 1 inch.

Any chance you can repair the broken pieces. I mean, did you have a single clean break or did it shatter into a bunch of pieces? I have successfully repaired slate and can offer advice based on my experience if you want to give that a try.

Maybe better if you email me at bnewsted@yahoo.com where we can chatter some. This could get complicated.

Best,

Bill  

Pool/Billiards

Bill Newsted