Pool/Billiards/Old billiard items

Hi.  I'm selling my house and have the following two old billiard items.  Was just wondering if you've ever come across them, or have any idea if they could be worth something:

1.  book, Willie Hoppe:  Billiards as it should be played.  1941.

2.  old combination pool table/couch, purchased from the Sears catalog around 1967 (needs refurbishing, new bumpers/felt/etc).

Hey Ken.

As for the book, I own two copies. In good condition it's worth about $35 (though I've come across it at used book stores for far less). In short, not garbage but nothing of great rarity and value; huge numbers were sold (Willie Hoppe was a household name then, and three cushion was still a well known game; sadly not today).

I've never seen a couch like that so I can only be general about it. If it's a decent couch, of course, it has some intrinsic value and the fact that it also converts to a pool table adds to that value, but I suspect it's more of a high end garage sale feature. We are not talking about a table that was ever high end--I'm guessing it's not even slate (or wow that must be heavy)--and it was a Sears item after all. I can't imagine it would ever fetch a large premium. It's a neat item, a curiosity, but not incredibly valuable as a pool table and I doubt it's worth the effort of refurbishment as a money making venture.

Best regards,

Pool Teacher  

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.