Pool/Billiards/Cue tip size restrictions

I have been playing VNEA in Canada for the past 15 years, with multiple trips to Vegas Nationals.  For the past several years I have switched to using a snooker cue that has a considerably smaller tip than my regular McDermott.  Occasionally an opponent approaches me both in league and in Vegas and says my cue tip is too small and illegal.  I have never seen anything in print from VNEA concerning this issue, so my reply basically is show me where the rules say that.  Please advise.

Hi Andrew,

I have never seen a section of VNEA rules that specifies any particulars of equipment; cues, tips, weights, lights, table height, etc.

Both the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) and the World Pool and Billiard Association (WPA) define maximum tip width (14mm) and maximum cue weight (25 ounces). Both tip width and weight are defined as "no minimum"; so you could have your tip as sharp as a pencil if you wanted.

Wish I could definitively state there is no ruling on this in VNEA; just because I have never found one doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere. But I've never seen it. It's also possible there was once such a rule that no longer exists. (I don't have old copies of VNEA rules to compare.

I think you're solution is best. Simply ask complainers to show you the rule printed in the book. My bet is they cannot. My guess is the people who complain are people you beat with some sweet ball-spin and are just sore losers. Too bad, so sad.

Play well and enjoy!

Bill Newsted

I can answer questions related to shot-making, aiming, position play, strategies, practice, mental preparation and the psychology of the game. Also, rules as they vary from venue to venue and how to become a winning player. I have experience recovering and maintaining tables and will also answer questions related to cues and billiard equipment. However, I prefer not to make brand recommendations. I do not offer information identifying old tables and equipment or estimating their values.

I have played over forty years in every state in the US (except Alaska). My experience is largely in pool rooms but I have also played extensively on bar tables and in league organizations. I have directed numerous tournaments up to the professional level and have played several world champion players. I am a former Billiard Congress of America instructor.

B.S. in Visual Communication M.A. in Education: Career and Technology Education