Pool/Billiards/using the bridge

does ur hand using an extended bridge have to be off the table while shooting.
or can ur hand while holding bridge be on the table

Hi Owen.

In authoritative rules--both the World Standardized Rules and the Official Rules of the Billiard Congress of America--there is no restriction at all on placing your hand on the table when shooting with the mechanical bridge. It sounds like you've come across one of the many silly rules people make up in some local venue.

In fact, you almost always place your hand on the table when using the bridge and I'm not sure I've ever seen an experienced player or professional do anything else. Here's a link to an instructional video by Ewa Mataya Laurance demonstrating proper use of the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46OtOtf4VE and as you can see her hand is on the table.

Best of luck,

Pool teacher

I have wide ranging knowledge of all the cue sports, with the exception of snooker. I can answer most questions related to playing any of the standard games such as straight pool (14.1 continuous) eight-ball, nine-ball, one-pocket and 3-cushion billiards and the variations on these games. Questions welcomed regarding technique, strategy and rules, history of the sport, trick shots, the mental game, practice, practice drills, pool/billiards publications, and so on. I DO NOT DO CUE OR TABLE APPRAISALS OR IDENTIFICATION. See below.

I have been a dedicated player of pool and 3-cushion Billiards for many years. I have given lessons professionally and have run and participated in too many tournaments to name, including professional events such as the U.S. Open. I am also a cue collector and student of all aspects of the game. Note: I was starting to get far too many questions about pool cue (and pool table) valuation and identification and will no longer take these questions, sorry. I am a player and historian of the sport and the heart of my expertise is not product comparison or appraisal.