Pool/Billiards/Other balls pocketed

Question
Combination was called 2 to 1 into corner pocket.

However, 2 went in to corner pocket first and then the 1 dropped.  There was no double tap of balls.

Answer
Hi Tod.

From the perspective of authoritative rules which are often very different from what's played in the bar on the corner it makes no difference whether another of the player's ball's (or an opponent's ball) is pocketed on a shot, so long as the called ball is sunk in the called pocket and no foul was committed. The order that the balls are pocketed is also irrelevant. The result is that all balls stay down and the player's inning continues. Additionally, you should know that all you need to call is the ball and the pocket.

A player can can say "combination 2 to the 1" and indicate the pocket but doing so is providing irrelevant information. You do not need to call any aspect of a shot but the ball and the pocket and it does not matter how it makes it there (so long as the shot is otherwise made legally). You may have seen people playing a version where you have to call every aspect of a shot "eleven ball in the corner, will kiss of the three but will not touch the rail". It may seem counterintuitive, but that type of silly exactitude, while it may seem to require more rigor, actually favors less skilled play.

Best of luck,

Pool Teacher

Pool/Billiards

Pool_Teacher