Pool/Billiards/3 fouls in a row

If you fail to hit your object ball 3 times in a row, do you lose the game?

Three consecutive fouls, often referred to as the "three foul rule" is common in professional play and in some games is used unless otherwise stated before a tournament begins. In nine ball committing three consecutive fouls is a loss of the game (not the match, just the game being played). In 14.1 straight pool one point is deducted for each foul and an additional 15 points for the third one.

Eight ball does not automatically include a 3 foul rule. However, it could be specified as part of a tournament, league play, or between two players at any given session. It should be clearly stated before play begins. Again, it's not usually used in eight ball.

When the three foul rule is in effect an official (or opponent) must tell the incoming player if they already have two fouls against them. If a player commits three consecutive fouls but was warned about having two fouls already, the third foul does not count and the player remains at "two fouls".

Play well and enjoy,

Bill Newsted

I can answer questions related to shot-making, aiming, position play, strategies, practice, mental preparation and the psychology of the game. Also, rules as they vary from venue to venue and how to become a winning player. I have experience recovering and maintaining tables and will also answer questions related to cues and billiard equipment. However, I prefer not to make brand recommendations. I do not offer information identifying old tables and equipment or estimating their values.

I have played over forty years in every state in the US (except Alaska). My experience is largely in pool rooms but I have also played extensively on bar tables and in league organizations. I have directed numerous tournaments up to the professional level and have played several world champion players. I am a former Billiard Congress of America instructor.

B.S. in Visual Communication M.A. in Education: Career and Technology Education