Pool/Billiards/billiards play

My wife and I are novices at billiards and we have a dispute about a rule. If my ball is striped and I want to hit it into a pocket, can I first hit a solid which then hits my striped into the pocket? My wife says I cannot do this, that I must first hit the ball of my color only. Please advise.

Hi David,

Sounds like your wife may be a hustler, knowing more than she lets on. :D

Sorry, you have to hit your own ball first. If you have stripes and there's one more stripe on the table you have to hit that ball first or it's a foul.

Play well and enjoy,

Bill Newsted

I can answer questions related to shot-making, aiming, position play, strategies, practice, mental preparation and the psychology of the game. Also, rules as they vary from venue to venue and how to become a winning player. I have experience recovering and maintaining tables and will also answer questions related to cues and billiard equipment. However, I prefer not to make brand recommendations. I do not offer information identifying old tables and equipment or estimating their values.

I have played over forty years in every state in the US (except Alaska). My experience is largely in pool rooms but I have also played extensively on bar tables and in league organizations. I have directed numerous tournaments up to the professional level and have played several world champion players. I am a former Billiard Congress of America instructor.

B.S. in Visual Communication M.A. in Education: Career and Technology Education