Pool/Billiards/Brunswick St Bernard Mission 6 leg Snooker Table

Question
Snooker table
Snooker table  

Snooker table 2
Snooker table 2  
I am restoring my old snooker table and would like to know about it history.
I found a few markings on the inside legs
M53741 other than a pdf or voicemail Brunswick corp is no help!

Answer
That is a St. Bernard Mission. It was produced from around 1906-1911. It's toprails are made of Brazillian Rosewood and it's cabinet is veneered with 1/4 sawn oak. The core of the tables frame and top rails are made of poplar wood. If it's a 10 foot snooker table then it's value will be far less than a 9' pool table. The folks that still know how to play snooker are getting further  apart and fewer inbetween and that goes for the demand for snooker tables as well. Anyway in it's current condition it's not really worth much. If it were mine and I had completely restored it, then I would ask around 7.5K. That would mostly only cover the fee that we would normally charge for doing such a thing to it. If it were a 9' pool table then at least twice that price. I might settle for a little less in the end but that's where I would start. It would not hurt to add some extra screws to those big blocks sticking out of the frames sides. Some of those are used to screw the slates down to and they are usually kinda loose.They were originally held in place via glue and dowels. All old Brunswick tables have serial numbers stamped into and inked onto just about every individual piece. Having all matching numbers is a plus. A lot of these old tables came from pool halls that sometimes were bought n sold where multiple tables were being moved around and then reset by armatures that did not realize that each piece of every table was already marked with a serial number and therefor mixed them up thinking they were all basically the same and also interchangeable. They will usually interchange but they don't always fit as well as the original piece did. Also many times markings in chalk, pencil and charcoal were also applied by armatures that didn't realize that not only are all the pieces serial numbered but they are also marked with the BBC numbering system in order for mechanics to put the parts where they were actually individually fit to in the manufacturing process. These markings many times have abbreviations like NW corner or East side and other such things as these. Sometimes there will be a customers or a table owners name written on them as well. Once in a while a Billiard table dealers name and the city they are located in will be written on the inside of the cabinet or on the bottom side of the slates. Just think there were no semi trucks hauling these things around back then from the mfg to the dealers. It was all trains and wagons back in the era that your table was made. Hopefully this is the information you are looking for.

Pool/Billiards

Stephen Summers