Pool/Billiards/last pocket pool

Question
This is not spam. I'm having a debate about whether you lose if you play the 8-ball on the break.

Answer
Hi Raymond,

This is a argument that will probably never be completely settled. But it's a question of which set of rules you play by. If you're playing in a tavern using "house rules" they could be anything and it's usually best just to accept how the players there normally play.

In leagues and tournaments there are specific rules. In "APA" leagues, making the eight on the break is an automatic win. But in all other well known sets of rules, BCA, WPA, TAP, etc. making the eight on the break is neither a win or a loss. Following from the World Pool-Billiard Association, which agrees with BCA and others.

Pocketing the eight ball on a legal break shot is not a foul. If the eight ball is pocketed, the
breaker has the option of
(1) re-spotting the eight ball and accepting the balls in position, or
(2) re-breaking.
(f) If the breaker pockets the eight ball and scratches (see definition 8.6 Scratch), the opponent
has the option of
(1) re-spotting the eight ball and shooting with cue ball in hand behind the head string;
or
(2) re-breaking.
(g) If any object ball is driven off the table on a break shot, it is a foul; such balls remain out
of play (except the eight ball which is re-spotted); and the incoming player has the option of
(1) accepting the table in position, or
(2) taking cue ball in hand behind the head string.
(h) If the breaker fouls in any manner not listed above, the following player has the option of
(1) accepting the balls in position, or

Eight ball has been played so many ways over the years and even official rules have changed considerably. It's best to talk through which rules are in effect before play begins.

Play well and enjoy,

Bill

Pool/Billiards

Bill Newsted