Pot Bellied Pigs/Breeding back after sow lost her litter

QUESTION: "My question is how soon can I breed my sow after she farrowed (birthed) a litter of 9, one still-born..... At 5 days old she sat on 3 and killed them.... The others I am bottle raising! So how soon can I breed her back? Her milk is almost dried up!"

ANSWER: Hello,
I personally wouldn't breed her back at all.  There are good moms and not so good.
Very likely she will have problems again and her daughters may also have problems with giving birth.

QUESTION: She is usually good but the last two litters she has sat on some.... I was gonna breed back and hand raise the babies, plus... Even if I hand raise would the females still likely not be good moms theirselves ?  Or is it just time to retired that momma sow? This is her 5-6 littler!

I would suggest that you retire her.  Bottle fed babies can have major attitude issues as they need to be with mom for discipline.  They can be aggressive and not make the best pets.
It is so much better to have the sow nurse her piglets as mother nature intended.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Patricia Morrisroe

I have bred Royal Dandie Miniature Pigs for over 20 years. I can answer any questions about care, feeding, training, personalities, differences from other Miniature pet pigs, how to litter box train, leash training, bathing, What supplements they need, how to house them.

I am the only breeder in the world. I created this breed of miniature pig over the last 21 years. I have been answering questions everyday for 21 years.

Founded the Crabbet Arabian Assoc of Oregon, Had my USDA license, Experience with feeding formulas, product development, 21 years of studies in pig genetics.