Pot Bellied Pigs/2 month old micro pig with swolen hind hoof

Question
Hi, I recently purchased a 2 month old micro pig. I noticed yesterday after jumping out of his playpen (yes he's a good jumper, I was shocked, so I cannot leave him unattended in there anymore) he has a swolen hind foot, it's slightly pink, warm to the touch, but it's not seeming to cause him any pain. I looked for signs of cracked nails or lacerations and can't see any. But I'm worried it may be an infection of some sort that could spread if he is not taken to a vet. Although I don't want to waste the money if it is something as small as a sprained ankle. I'm worried though, we love our new family addition. I don't know really what my question is, but maybe you have seen this before and can ease my mind. Thanks dear.

Answer
I am not a veterinarian and can not make a medical diagnosis over the internet. All I can do is guess.

My first guess is that this is a minor injury due from escaping the play pen. If it doesn't seem to bother piggy, it's probably Ok to wait for a day or two. Chances are it will quickly go away on it's own.

If piggy starts to limp, or the swelling increases then piggy may have a more serious injury. Baby pigs can dislocate joints or even break bones, but fortunately they heal very quickly.

Serious danger signs include blood, pus, the hoof pulling away from the flesh, or swelling or redness moving up the leg.

Pot Bellied Pigs

Helen Morrison